8th Grade Advanced Algebra
This class is offered by St. Teresa’s Academy to eighth-grade girls who are talented in mathematics and excited to learn.
STA is committed to developing math skills in young women to support their interest in STEM/STEAM fields, or simply to become more innovative and critical thinkers. This course is taught by STA math teacher Belinda Toma.
Students must first complete a Math Qualifying Exam. Find out more about the course, exam and exam dates below.
This year-long class will meet on the STA campus daily (while school is in session) beginning Wednesday, Aug. 17, 2022. The class runs from 7-7:40 a.m., before the regular school day begins at your daughter’s elementary/middle school.
There are numerous advantages to taking the course:
- Students will earn one full high-school math credit, which will be granted upon successful completion of the class.
- $800 of the $1,000 course fee will be applied to the student’s freshman-year tuition at STA.
- Transcripts will reflect the grade and credit earned, but will not be calculated into the student’s GPA. She still will need to earn four math credits during her four years at STA.
- Students successfully completing the course will be considered for placement into Geometry or Advanced Geometry their freshman year.
- Opportunities are available for college dual enrollment and Advanced Placement in math and science during the student’s junior and senior years, as well as in computer sciences.
Five recorded absences from the class per semester may lower the student’s grade for the course.
The core components of an Advanced Algebra I curriculum will be included, but with a focus on more exploratory and authentic applications. Students will develop their technology skills and be issued an STA computer.
Students must successfully complete the Math Qualifying Exam at STA to be admitted to the course. The exam is offered on three dates and requires a $200 deposit, which will apply toward the cost of the class. The additional $800 will be due by August 1, 2022 (course registration deadline). Payment plans are available. Those who do not qualify for the course will be refunded the exam fee.
Register for the Math Qualifying Exam today.
Students may choose from the following qualifying exam dates and times:
- Monday, May 23, 2022 – 5:30-6:30 p.m.
- Friday, May 27, 2022 – 10-11 a.m.
- Wednesday, June 1, 2022 – 10-11 a.m.
Register for the exam here.
You will receive a letter regarding your daughter’s exam results and qualifications for the Advanced Algebra I course on or before June 13, 2022. Please contact Barbara McCormick, EdS, Principal for Academics, or Belinda Toma, STA math instructor, with questions.
Belinda Toma will start her fifth year as a STA math teacher this fall. Prior to joining STA, she taught for 11 years at a diocesan school in New Jersey.
Teaching high school math is a second career for Belinda. She graduated from Boston College with a degree in management and economics, and worked for many years in the banking industry. While tutoring students for the SAT, Belinda discovered her passion for teaching high school students.
At STA, Belinda has taught the Advanced Algebra I/II courses and Algebra II. She looks forward to teaching Advanced Algebra I again this year. She’s excited about introducing students to higher-level Algebra concepts, challenging their critical thinking skills, and developing their voice in the classroom.