STA students researched data and policy behind Kansas City Mayor Quinton Lucas's policy goals. The students’ research culminated with an in-person interview with the Mayor on the STA campus.
Launched in 2019, St. Teresa’s Academy’s Interim Week is a time of innovation, creation, and discovery as students step outside of traditional classrooms and participate in experiential learning. STA teachers created exploratory, hands-on, and interactive courses specifically developed to expose students to new ideas, experiences, and environments with the goal of fostering a pursuit of knowledge that will help students broaden their appreciation and awareness for the world.
This year, a host of unique and thought-provoking experiences were added, including new corporate and community partnerships and student-led courses. These exciting new opportunities included:
- Women in Finance with American Century Inc.
- Design Thinking with Barkley Advertising
- World Dance with City in Motion
- Living Lightly: the Philosophy and Practice of Nomadic Living
- Car Maintenance for the College-Bound Teen
Interim Week 2020 experienced tremendous growth in terms of number, diversity, and quality of courses. Led by Experiential Education Coordinator Kelly Fast, this year’s Interim Course Catalogue included the following developments:
- 15 additional courses in 2020 for a total of 57 courses
- 20 off-campus experiences, including RoKC climbing gym, Missouri Court of Appeals, UMKC School of Law, The Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art, and The National Quilting Museum in Paducah, Kentucky.
- New community and corporate partnerships:
- Waddell and Reed - Women in Finance
- Dimensional Innovations - Building Better Experiences Through Design
- University of Kansas and Mayor Lucas - A Documentary Project with the Mayor of Kansas City
- McShane and Brady LLC - Do You Want to Be a Lawyer?
- The Guadalupe Center - Kansas City Perspectives: Food, Art, Music, and Poetry
- Six student-led courses, including World Dance, Holiday of Food (an introduction to Jewish cultural celebrations), and Introduction to Film Photography
For Interim Week 2021, plans have been discussed to expand the experience to several global experiences, including an environmental course in Costa Rica, a STEAM course in Panama, and a conservancy course in Kenya. Additionally, off-campus, real world learning, community, and corporate partnerships will be continued.