STA Book Club
Periodical & Newspaper Subscriptions
Rose Tiecher Media Center
The mission of the library at St. Teresa’s Academy is to empower students to become independent lifelong users of libraries and information systems.
The library’s goal is to provide students with the necessary information and tools to acquire knowledge independently and gain the necessary skills to become critical thinkers and lifelong learners. It works toward this goal by creating an environment that encourages and supports collaboration with faculty, striving to integrate information literacy into the school curriculum so that all students are equipped with skills to access information both electronically and traditionally.
The library provides a pleasant atmosphere in which a variety of resources are available for students. Memberships in various consortia allow the library to offer an accessible collection that includes an online catalog and numerous online databases which are available electronically 24 hours a day.
Interlibrary loan agreements with local public, academic and high school libraries in the greater Kansas City area allow students to request material beyond items actually owned by the library. A courier service delivers the requested material to the STA library for students’ use.
The library subscribes to a wide variety of magazines and newspapers for students to read during the day. The library also strives to provide an environment that encourages students to read for enjoyment and relaxation. In order to encourage students to read more the library sponsors the STA Book Club and participates in the state-wide Missouri Gateway Readers Award.
- Gale Virtual Library is a database of encyclopedias and specialized reference sources for multidisciplinary research.
- Opposing Viewpoints in Context is a virtual library of resources from Gale designed to aid students in the study of today’s hottest social issues.
- Biography in Context provides biographical information on both current and historical people from all fields of endeavor and all parts of the world.
- Literature Resource Center provides full-text literary criticisms, reviews and biographical information on more than 130,000 writers in all disciplines from all time periods and from around the world.
- Students can search Proquest to find full-text journal articles on a wide variety of topics.
- Salem Press has provided an online version of their critically acclaimed American history series, The Decades. This series currently covers 1940 through 1999.
- Daily Life through History provides information on what life was like for ordinary people in different cultures throughout history.
- Classroom Video On Demand provides instant access to thousands of educational videos.
- CQ Researcher provides original reports on current issues. CQ Researcher is known for its authoritative, in-depth, unbiased, coverage in the areas of health, social trends, criminal justice, international affairs, education, the environment, technology and the economy.
- Global Issues in Context offers access to resources from around the world, providing students with a global perspective on world issues.