Membership in the STAR Chapter of the National Honor Society (NHS) is bestowed upon a student. Selection is by a faculty and staff council and is based upon outstanding scholarship, leadership, character, and service as evidenced in the application for membership. The faculty council reviews applications using student numbers, student names are not identified.
- Be a current junior or senior.
- Have a cumulative grade point average of 93% or higher at time of application (as of June 2020 report card) and at time of induction (as of January 2021 report card).
The student who serves: works well with others and is willing to sacrifice to offer assistance; participates in some outside activity above and beyond the graduation requirements; cheerfully and enthusiastically renders service to the school and shows courtesy by assisting visitors, faculty and students.
- Complete a minimum of 10 hours of service to St. Teresa’s Academy between March 15-November 15 of application year.
- Complete a minimum of 10 hours of service to the Kansas City community between March 15-November 15 of application year.
The student who exercises leadership: exemplifies a positive attitude and is dependable in any responsibility accepted; contributes ideas toward the improvement of the school or community; and has taken a constructive lead in school and community activities.
- Successfully demonstrate leadership by holding office or positions of responsibility at STA or in a community activity/organization. (Included on resume & essays)
- Character – selection will be by review of each candidate’s discipline history at STA. Student Behavior Reports (SBRs) will be reviewed closely. Truancy from STA, cheating, vandalism, forgery, and other offensive behaviors may prevent a student from being selected.