The Master Schedule is built on choices made by the students in consultation with their advisor and counselor, and approved by parents. Course discussions take place in January and February. Online registration takes place in late February and early March. All students are required to take seven courses each semester.
Students are required to take the same world language for two consecutive years during their freshman and sophomore years. Once the consecutive language courses are completed, students may choose to take a different language during their junior year.
All freshmen complete the Health/Wellness course earning .50 credits towards the physical education graduation requirement of 1.0 credits. Students may earn the additional .50 physical education graduation requirements by taking a course on campus, participating in an STA sponsored sport or applying for an independent study course.
Course Selection Guidelines
- All students are required to take 7 courses per semester. Seniors with 3 or more AP/College courses may take 6.
- Practicum courses may not be used to fulfill graduation requirements, they are elective credit only.
- PE and practicum courses are excluded from the cumulative grade percent.
- Prerequisites - see individual course descriptions. If a student does not meet the prerequisite at registration time but meets it at the end of the semester, she may call the Registrar in early June to request a course change. Current sophomores with below a 92% cumulative grade percent may only enroll in 1 AP course. Pre-requisite percentages listed for previous course work are actual percentages shown in PowerSchool (if an honors/AP/college course, do not add the additional 5 point weight).
- AP exams and dual enrollment tuition/fees are the responsibility of the family. AP exam estimate - $94 each. AP exam registration occurs in February of the course year. Beginning in the 2019-20 school year, AP exam registration and payment will take place in late August/early Septemeber with no late registration/refunds available. Dual enrollment estimate - $83 per credit hour. Matriculation fees may apply.
- Honors/College/AP courses are weighted courses in the cumulative grade percent. Students must earn a 77% or higher to receive the additional 5 bonus points for a weighted course.
- Students are allowed to drop/add a course (a fee will apply) during the designated drop/add time in late July/early August. This is the only drop/add time for the year, courses are not changed at semester.
- All STA summer courses for credit are calculated in the cumulative percent.
Curriculum Inquiry Policy Statement
As an institution, St. Teresa’s Academy values the expertise of the teacher and the enlightenment of students. In regard to curricular materials and classroom discussion and activities, exposing students to a wide variety of academic ideas, cultural perspectives, and moral beliefs remains a top priority. When creating and implementing curriculum, teachers consider course description and rationale, making choices consistent with the STA Handbook’s Philosophy and Core Beliefs, and reflecting the school’s initiatives regarding inclusion and diversity.
Process for Challenging Material:
- Should a student or parent question curricular material, that individual should complete this form, detailing his or her objections, then the teacher or the Director of Curriculum & Instruction will schedule a meeting, inviting the parents and any other applicable parties to attend. During that discussion, the teacher and Director of Curriculum & Instruction will address specific concerns and articulate the rationale for teaching the material.
- If the individual is still not satisfied following the initial meeting, additional dialogue will follow with the Academic Principal. At this point, the latter will have the discretion to offer an academic alternative for that student.