The Master Schedule is built on choices made by the students in consultation with their advisor and counselor, and approved by parents. Course discussions take place in January and February. Online registration takes place in late February and early March. All students are required to take seven courses each semester.
Students are required to take the same world language for two consecutive years during their freshman and sophomore years. Once the consecutive language courses are completed, students may choose to take a different language during their junior year.
All freshmen complete the Health/Wellness course earning .50 credits towards the physical education graduation requirement of 1.0 credits. Students may earn the additional .50 physical education graduation requirements by taking a course on campus, participating in an STA sponsored sport or applying for an independent study course.
Course Selection Guidelines
- All students are required to take 7 courses per semester. Seniors with 3 or more AP/College courses may take 6.
- Practicum courses may not be used to fulfill graduation requirements, they are elective credit only.
- PE and practicum courses are excluded from the cumulative grade percent.
- Prerequisites - see individual course descriptions. If a student does not meet the prerequisite at registration time, but meets it at the end of the semester, she may call the Registrar in early June to request a course change. Current sophomores with below a 92. cumulative grade percent may only enroll in 1 AP course.
- AP exams and dual enrollment tuition/fees are the responsibility of the family. AP exam estimate - $92. each. Dual enrollment estimate - $83. per credit hour. Matriculation fees may apply.
- Honors/College/AP courses are weighted courses in the cumulative grade percent. Students must earn a 77% or higher to receive the additional 5 bonus points for a weighted course.
- Students are allowed to drop/add a course (a fee will apply) during the designated drop/add time in late July/early August. This is the only drop/add time for the year, courses are not changed at semester.
- All STA summer courses for credit are calculated in the cumulative percent.