DAILY COVID-19 CHECK-IN FORM
Parents are required to fill out this form each day prior to dropping off your daughter. A student’s temperature must be taken daily and logged into this form along with a few other health related questions.
St. Teresa’s Academy is offering an enhanced Advanced Algebra I class next year to eighth grade girls who are talented in mathematics and excited to learn. St. Teresa’s Academy is committed to the development of mathematical skills in young women to support their interest in pursuing STEAM (science, technology, engineering, art, and math) fields, or simply becoming more innovative and critical thinkers. This course will be taught by STA math teacher, Rebecca Hare. (Bio below.)
At a cost of $1,000, this class will provide a full year of Advanced Algebra I. Class will meet on the St. Teresa’s Academy campus beginning August 17, 2020, from 7:00 to 7:40 a.m. during the mornings that school is in session, and before the regular school day begins at your daughter’s elementary/middle school.
Some of the advantages for taking this course include:
- One full high school math credit will be granted upon successful completion of this class and $500 of the course fee will be applied to your daughter’s freshman year tuition at STA.
- Transcripts will reflect the grade and credit earned, but will not be calculated into your daughter’s GPA. She will still need to earn four math credits during her four years at STA.
- Students successfully completing the course will be considered for placement into Geometry or Advanced Geometry their freshman year.
- Opportunities are available for college dual enrollment and Advanced Placement in math and science during your daughter’s junior and senior years as well as in computer science courses.
- Note: five recorded absences from the class per semester may lower the student’s grade for the course.
The core components of an Advanced Algebra I curriculum will be included but with a focus on more exploratory and authentic applications. Students will develop their technology skills as they explore the following areas:
- Coding - introduction to the logic used in traditional mathematical proofs
- Motion Sensor Data Collect - to study motion and slope
- 3D Spatial Visualization - polyhedra origami manipulatives
How to Apply for Advanced Algebra I
To apply for the Advanced Algebra I class, your daughter must successfully complete the Math Qualifying Exam at St. Teresa’s Academy. The exam is offered on three dates and requires a $200 deposit, which will apply toward the cost of the class. The additional $800 will be due by August 3. Those who do not qualify for the course will be refunded the exam fee.
Choose from the following exam dates and times to best meet your daughter’s schedule:
Wednesday, June 3, 2020 @ 10:30 - 11:30 a.m.
Wednesday, June 17, 2020 @ 10:30 - 11:30 a.m.
Thursday, June 18, 2020 @ 6:30 - 7:30 p.m.
Access the Online Registration Form by clicking this link. The deadline for applying is June 2, 2020.
You will receive notification regarding your daughter’s Qualifying Exam results and qualifications for the Advanced Algebra I course on or before June 26, 2020. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact either Barbara McCormick, Academic Principal or Rebecca Hare, Course Instructor.
Barbara J. McCormick
Rebecca Hare is now in her second year as a math teacher at St. Teresa’s Academy. She is a recent graduate from Creighton University.
At STA, Rebecca has found a place where she can share her passion for math with young students. Rebecca is looking forward to teaching Advanced Algebra 1 for 8th graders and helping these students take their first steps towards high school.